The archive contains minutes from community association meetings and historical information about development applications. For active development applications, see the Planning page.
OECA Meeting Minutes
2015: January February March April May June
2014: January March May June September October December
2013: January February March April May June September October November December
2012: January February March April May June September October November December
2011: January February March April May June September October November December
2014: January March April May
2013: January February March April May June December
Archived development applications are shown below. Active files are found on the Planning page.
73-75 Harvey Street
A proposal to build a new residential building containing 12 units. Reference Development Application # D07-12-12-0139. The OECA has indicated objection to the proposed 6.7 m driveway width indicating a 3.5 m width is sufficient. The public realm would be enhanced with more front yard landscaping, narrower drop curb width, additional space for on street parking and less obtrusive garage door size. Decision: Site Plan Control application approved July 30, 2013 (read decision and supporting information)
160 Lees Avenue
The City of Ottawa initiated a Zoning By-law Amendment application for the property located at 160 Lees Avenue in December 2012. This is a city-owned piece of property that is zoned R4M (mixed use centre) and a section along the Rideau River is zoned as major open space. View the zoning from the secondary plan. This application was eventually withdrawn after community consultation.
- The original proposal by the city included 362 parking spaces and a staging area at 160 Lees Avenue. At the December 19, 2012 meeting, an alternate proposal was presented that removed the staging area. See the current site plan (dated January 7, 2013).
- See a map of the proposed parking lot, and additional correspondence from city staff.
- View the minutes and city presentation from the December 19, 2012, meeting at Old Town Hall with residents and city staff
- View an additional Q&A document between the OECA and city staff prior to the public meeting
- View a report and map created by the OECA of alternate locations for the parking lot
- The city has provided a map and legend outlining what alternate sites were considered for providing the university with parking during the LRT construction.
200 Lees Avenue
- Site location and description of site and surroundings: The property is located on the south side of Lees Avenue and Highway 417 and is municipally known as 200 Lees Avenue. The subject property currently contains a parking lot and an institutional building. The surrounding lands also contain institutional buildings as part of the University of Ottawa campus. Highway 417 is directly north of the subject lands. The Lees Transitway Station is located west of the subject property.
- Purpose of site plan control proposal and details: The University of Ottawa seeks to construct an open air stadium in previous parking lot with related bleachers (on the south side), lighting and grade beam for proposed dome during the winter months. Re-align fire route and demolishing part of existing building.
- To view the site plan and supporting documentation (such as environmental site assessment, landscape plan, etc.), please visit the city's Development Application Search. File number is D07-12-11-0226.
- A public open house was held on January 17, 2012. The OECA expressed concern that the proposal will make it difficult for the creation of a multi-use pathway (MUP) along the Rideau River as is called for by the City Council approved community design plan for Old Ottawa East.
- Read the OECA's written comments to the city following the open house.
- A revised plan provided to OECA members on March 8, 2012, now shows a clear provision for a riverside pathway along the northeastern portion of the property. View the revised document here.
- The pedestrian and cycling pathway running through the 200 Lees campus has been closed due to construction. Pedestrians and cyclists can use detours over the Lees Avenue bridge into Sandy Hill or across the Transitway bridge. The informal pathway along the river behind the university buildings will also be closed while the stadium/field are constructed. The planned closures will last until fall 2012.
Click here to view a map.
Committee of Adjustment
Archived committee of adjustment files are shown below. Active files are found on the Planning page.
- 99 Concord Street North. Request for consent to subdivide the property and several minor variances to develop a 3-storey back-to-front semi-detached dwelling north of the existing single family dwelling. The OOECA received a copy of the November 5, 2013 application particulars on November 18, 2013, however the Development Application # has not been assigned as of December 4, 2013. The hearing can be expected to be on January 15th, 2014. A public meeting was held at the Old Town Hall from 6:00 to 8:00 pm on December 11, 2013, and was delivered to some neighbours on December 4, 2013. UPDATE: Given the neighbours' general support for the proposal, the OECA made no comments to the Committee of Adjustment. Read the city planner's comments. Decision: Applications granted (read the minor variance decision and consent decision).
663 Echo Drive. Prior to receiving the notice of the January 15, 2014, hearing, the OECA was provided with drawings and the applicant's planning rationale. In conjunction with the immediate neighbours', the OECA attempted to facilitate a redesign. Although the city planner's comments were in line with the OECA's concerns, the neighbours were put in a "Catch 22" position of having to accept the minor variances lest the applicant proceed with an "as of right" redevelopment with increased negative impacts. Decision: Application granted (read decision).
- 15 Oblate Avenue & 133 to 141 Main. Request for consent to subdivide the property into two separate parcels of land. Decision: provisional consent granted (read decision).
- 87-89 Clegg. Request for the severance of a property to turn a semi-detached dwelling into two separately owned attached dwellings: 87 & 89 Clegg Street. OECA has no objections to the request. Decision: applications granted as amended (read MV decision) (read Consent decision).
- 35 Chestnut. Request for demolition of an existing house and construction of a triplex. The OECA objects to this proposal for the following reasons: it is out of character for the neighbourhood because it is too big for the lot; because the ground floor is significantly higher than the average of its neighbours; because the proposed front access projects into the front yard setback. Decision: application granted (read decision)
- 151 Concord Street South and 110 Evelyn Avenue. OECA and neighbours met with the applicant on December 15, 2012. The applicant provided three options, of which Option C was favoured. The applicant has lowered the elevation of the ground floor, as requested. The OECA is pleased with the applicants efforts in consulting with the neighbours and has no objections to the revised application. Decision: application granted (read decision)
- 48 Bower. Hearing scheduled for April17, 2013. OECA has no objection to the application and has heard no objections from surrounding residents. Decision: application granted as amended (read decision)
- 119 Hawthorne Avenue. Hearing scheduled for October 17, 2012. Read the City Planner's comments. The OECA objects to the application. OECA does not support further intensification on this sub-standard site. Intensification is not sought for the interior of residential neighbourhoods under current City policies. The proposal does not attempt to show compatibility with its neighbours under the terms average distance from the building face to the property line as per the new infill bylaw. The applicant withdrew their application prior to the October 17 hearing.
- 21 Bower Street. OECA has no objection to the application. Committee of Adjustment hearing December 5th, 2012. Decision: Application granted (read decision)
- 44-46 Concord Avenue. OECA supports the application. Committee of Adjustment meeting on December 5th, 2012. Decision: Application granted as amended (read decision)
- 135 Springhurst Avenue. Decision: Application granted as amended. Read the minor variance decision and consent decision
- 151 Concord Street and 110 Evelyn Avenue. Adjourned July 18, 2012; Adjourned August 15, 2012; Meeting with applicant and neighbours September 12, 2012; Adjourned indefinitely at September 19, 2012 hearing. OECA position: The OECA has gone on record opposing the severance and variances.
- 225 McGillivray. Decision: Application granted as amended (read decision)
- 164 Main Street. Decision: Application granted as amended (read decision)
- 11 Chestnut Street. Read OECA's position. Decision: Application granted as amended (read decision)