The planned LRT duct work for 2014 includes:
- Installation of civil infrastructure (conduit and cable chambers)
- Crossing Main Street, at Elliot Avenue
- On the North side of Elliot Avenue from Main Street to Marlowe Crescent
- On the West side of Marlowe Crescent from Elliot Avenue to Clegg Street
- On the North Side of Clegg Street, from Marlowe Crescent to Main Street
Installation of this underground civil infrastructure involves excavating a trench along the city boulevard and sidewalks. There are also three road crossings which will be installed as part of this work:
1. Main Street at Elliot Avenue
2. Beckwith Road at Marlowe Crescent
3. Clegg Street at Marlowe Crescent
As the majority of this work is being installed outside the travelled portion of the road, there is limited impact on road traffic anticipated. Residents may, however, notice increased construction presence throughout the duration of the project, including excavation activities and construction vehicles. Where lane closures are required (i.e. the road crossings), the implemented traffic control will be coordinated with the city traffic inspector, to ensure the work is completed safely, and to minimize the traffic impacts to the residents.
Trenching and installation will be done in segments typically 15-30 meters in length, and backfilled as the work progresses. Typically, a segment will require 2-3 days from initial excavation to backfill. Backfill will be maintained reasonably close to the surrounding grade, until such time as final reinstatement can be completed, so that vehicles and pedestrians can negotiate the cuts at normal speed without hazard. Where access to resident property will be impacted, customer will be contacted in advance of the work impacting their property. This work will be staged so as to maintain partial access to the property at all times, however, vehicle access to impacted properties maybe temporarily interrupted.
This work is tentatively scheduled to commence on August 18, and is scheduled to be completed, by October 31, 2014.